Delhi gang-rape: CMs voice concern, want effective steps to protect women
New Delhi: Condemning the rape of a 23-year-old woman here, a number of Chief Ministers on Thursday expressed concern over the issue of safety of women in the country and sought more effective steps in this regard.
Gujarat Chief minister Narendra Modi said the issue of women`s safety was important and be addressed after rising above party politics.
"It is an issue of concern. I don`t want to enter into a blame game. This issue should be above party politics," Modi told reporters after attending the National Development Council (NDC) meeting here today.
He said Gujarat performed well as far as the status women in the state was concerned but said it is not an issue whether a state performs well or not.
"A holistic approach should be taken. Every incident of this kind is painful," said Modi.
Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav said action needs to be taken against the culprits of crime against women.
"In Uttar Pradesh, we have taken steps to address the issue of crime against women. We have started a special helpline also. This is a continuing process and one needs to be vigilant to prevent such crimes," Yadav said.
Haryana Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda, in his speech at the NDA meeting, also referred to the gang-rape in Delhi and said his government has initiated effective measures to check crimes against women.
Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan admitted there are lapses in handling rape cases in states and said "we all have to do our bit to change the situation".
"In our respective states, we are taking steps to review. Things are not good (in all states). Lot of pending cases," said Chavan.
"What people really want is speedy justice", he said adding Maharashtra government has decided to set up fast-track courts in all parts of the state to ensure speedy justice in rape cases.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what