Delhi gang-rape: Cong core group reviews situation after protests
New Delhi: The Congress Core Group on Tuesday reviewed the situation in the Capital in the wake of protests over the gang-rape incident emphasising that police should deal with the matter with sensitivity while there should be no room for violence.
The two-and-a-half hour long meeting at Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s residence was attended by Congress President Sonia Gandhi, Defence Minister A K Antony, Finance Minister P Chidambaram and Gandhi`s Political Secretary
Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde and Parliamentary Affairs Minister Kamal Nath were special invitees.
The meeting noted that there was calm in the streets of Delhi. Sources said the meeting was apprised of the fact that the Government has requested the protesting student organisations and other groups to send their suggestions to the J S Verma Committee set up to rewrite the rape laws.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you