Delhi gang-rape: Cong core group reviews situation after protests
New Delhi: The Congress Core Group on Tuesday reviewed the situation in the Capital in the wake of protests over the gang-rape incident emphasising that police should deal with the matter with sensitivity while there should be no room for violence.
The two-and-a-half hour long meeting at Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s residence was attended by Congress President Sonia Gandhi, Defence Minister A K Antony, Finance Minister P Chidambaram and Gandhi`s Political Secretary
Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde and Parliamentary Affairs Minister Kamal Nath were special invitees.
The meeting noted that there was calm in the streets of Delhi. Sources said the meeting was apprised of the fact that the Government has requested the protesting student organisations and other groups to send their suggestions to the J S Verma Committee set up to rewrite the rape laws.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan