Delhi gang-rape: Four accused convicted for rape, murder
Zee Media Bureau/ Deepak Nagpal
New Delhi: A fast-track court here on Tuesday pronounced four accused guilty in the 2012 December 16 Delhi gang-rape case. Of the total six accused, the prime conspirator – Ram Singh – had earlier this year killed himself in jail, while a minor accused was on August 31 sentenced to three years in a special home by the Juvenile Justice Board.
The 23-year-old trainee physiotherapist was lured by the six onto a bus on December 16 last year, where they raped and tortured her with a metal bar.
Here are today`s developments in the case:
Also Read: Delhi gang-rape: The men who shamed India
Earlier this month, the court had concluded the trial in the case, which has been followed not just in India but the world over.
Also Read: December 16 Delhi gang-rape case - Timeline
The accused, including the bus driver who hanged himself in jail earlier this year, had pleaded not guilty to attacking and killing the woman. Two of the four accused had said they were at a party at the time, while another said he was in his native village in the eastern state of Bihar, court documents show.
The fourth admitted he was driving the bus on the night of the attack, but said he did not see or hear anything as the lights were switched off.
The case had ignited huge protests across the nation, with the protesters in the national capital marching upto the Rashtrapati Bhavan and clashing with police in scenes not witnessed for decades.
The case and subsequent protests forced the government to bring in tougher anti-rape law and the judiciary is currently hearing a petition seeking to review the term `juvenile` and lower the age bar to be treated as a juvenile.
New laws brought in by the government prescribe death penalty in cases where the rape victim dies or is left in a vegetative state.
The laws also prescribed penalties for stalking, groping, voyeurism and acid attacks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- My News: People forced to pay for govt water tankers in Sangam Vihar
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi