Delhi gang-rape: Juvenile should be hanged, says Nirbhaya’s mother
New Delhi: "We are not bothered about minority or majority status of the accused. All we want is justice," the mother of the 23-year-old December 16 gang-rape victim said on Saturday, ahead of the Juvenile Justice Board`s verdict in the case involving a minor.
"Like the four adult accused are expected to get death sentence, he (juvenile) should also be hanged," she said.
She was asked if the maximum sentence of three years under the Juvenile Justice Act, if awarded, is commensurate with the crime.
"This day reminds me of the morning of December 17 when we heard of the crime committed with our daughter," she said arriving at the JJB in morning today.
The victim`s mother said, "Earlier, we were praying with folded hands before doctors and God for our daughter`s life. Now we are praying before JJB to convict her assaulter and award maximum sentence."
The girl died in a Singapore hospital on December 29.
The victim`s mother also said she was satisfied with the proceedings and was sure to get justice for her deceased daughter.
Large number of mediapersons are awaiting the verdict of the Board, which according to sources, has typed the judgement and will pronounce the same after lunch.
The public in and around the JJB and relatives of juveniles accused in other cases could be seen waiting for the same.
The Board is expected to deliver the verdict as the apex court had on August 22 allowed it to pronounce the judgement in the case against the juvenile, who according to the police, was the "most brutal" of all the six accused persons.
The Board, which convicted the juvenile for robbing Ramadhar, a carpenter, who had boarded the bus on the night of December 16, 2012 and was thrown out before the girl and her friend were assaulted, is also expected to pronounce the sentence in the robbery case.
During the inquiry, the juvenile had denied all charges against him, claiming he was not a participant in the horrendous crime.
While the juvenile faced inquiry before the JJB, the other four adult accused--Mukesh, Pawan Gupta, Vinay Sharma and Akshay Thakur--are being tried before a fast track court.
Key accused Ram Singh was found hanging in Tihar Jail in March and the proceedings against him stand abated.
They have been charged with gang-rape, murder, criminal conspiracy, unnatural sex and robbery besides other sections of IPC.
The case had sparked intense debate on anti-rape laws and whether the juvenile age should be lowered.
Nirbhaya`s mother said, "We have heard that he will get a maximum of three year sentence, this is really upsetting for us. It will be a lifelong regret for us that our daughter`s murderer was alive."
Making an appeal to the Board, she said "We request that the verdict in the case must not be delivered based on the age of the offender but on the intensity of crime committed."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 declared
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced