Delhi gang-rape: ‘Nirbhaya’ fund usage to begin soon, says Sushilkumar Shinde
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: On the anniversary of the December 16 Delhi gang-rape, Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde on Monday said that Nirbhaya fund, set up for women`s safety, will be utilised soon.
Speaking a day after Aam Aadmi Party member Shazia Ilmi tweeted that it was a shame that the fund had remained unused even after a year of the brutal gang-rape incident, Shinde said the P Chidambaram-headed Finance Ministry has cleared the plans, paving the way for the utilisation of the Rs 1,000-crore Nirbhaya Fund.
Chidambaram had announced the setting up of the Nirbhaya Fund in memory of the young woman, who passed away at a Singapore hospital on December 29 last year, two weeks after she had been brutally gang-raped in a moving bus in the Indian capital.
As the media is not allowed to name a rape victim, the young woman who fought those who assaulted her on December 16 was referred to as "Nirbhaya" (fearless one) and "Damini" (lightning) by sections of the press.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured