Delhi gang-rape: ‘Nirbhaya’ fund usage to begin soon, says Sushilkumar Shinde
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: On the anniversary of the December 16 Delhi gang-rape, Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde on Monday said that Nirbhaya fund, set up for women`s safety, will be utilised soon.
Speaking a day after Aam Aadmi Party member Shazia Ilmi tweeted that it was a shame that the fund had remained unused even after a year of the brutal gang-rape incident, Shinde said the P Chidambaram-headed Finance Ministry has cleared the plans, paving the way for the utilisation of the Rs 1,000-crore Nirbhaya Fund.
Chidambaram had announced the setting up of the Nirbhaya Fund in memory of the young woman, who passed away at a Singapore hospital on December 29 last year, two weeks after she had been brutally gang-raped in a moving bus in the Indian capital.
As the media is not allowed to name a rape victim, the young woman who fought those who assaulted her on December 16 was referred to as "Nirbhaya" (fearless one) and "Damini" (lightning) by sections of the press.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?