Delhi gang-rape: ‘Nirbhaya’ fund usage to begin soon, says Sushilkumar Shinde
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: On the anniversary of the December 16 Delhi gang-rape, Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde on Monday said that Nirbhaya fund, set up for women`s safety, will be utilised soon.
Speaking a day after Aam Aadmi Party member Shazia Ilmi tweeted that it was a shame that the fund had remained unused even after a year of the brutal gang-rape incident, Shinde said the P Chidambaram-headed Finance Ministry has cleared the plans, paving the way for the utilisation of the Rs 1,000-crore Nirbhaya Fund.
Chidambaram had announced the setting up of the Nirbhaya Fund in memory of the young woman, who passed away at a Singapore hospital on December 29 last year, two weeks after she had been brutally gang-raped in a moving bus in the Indian capital.
As the media is not allowed to name a rape victim, the young woman who fought those who assaulted her on December 16 was referred to as "Nirbhaya" (fearless one) and "Damini" (lightning) by sections of the press.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Virat Kohli vs Sachin Tendulkar: Who is a better cricketer? Read what Virender Sehwag has to say