Delhi gang-rape: Our prayers are with the victim, says Sonia Gandhi

Congress chief Sonia Gandhi on Friday said that those involved in the gang-rape of a 23-year-old student will be punished soon, while wishing for a speedy recovery of the victim who remains "critical" in a Singapore hospital.

Zeenews Bureau

New Delhi: Congress president Sonia Gandhi on Friday said that those involved in the gang-rape of a 23-year-old medical student will be punished soon, while wishing a speedy recovery for the victim who remains "extremely critical" in a Singapore hospital.

“Our prayers are with the brave girl, who survived such monstrous act and is fighting for her life, I wish she recovers fast and comes back soon,” Sonia Gandhi said while talking to reporters.

The Congress president, while assuring that every strictest possible measure would be taken to ensure safety of women said, “No time should be lost in bringing the perpetrators of barbaric gang-rape incident to justice.”

On his turn, Prime Minister Dr Manmohan Singh also expressed his resolve to deliver speedy justice to the rape victim.

“You have my assurance that our government is committed to bringing the guilty to justice as soon as possible," the Prime Minister told reporters here.

The best possible medical care was being provided to the gang-rape victim now in a Singapore hospital, Prime Minister further said.

The remarks from the two leaders came in the light of reports that the condition of the 23-year-old Delhi gang-rape victim remains "extremely critical", a day after she was admitted at the super speciality Mount Elizabeth Hospital in Singapore.

Hospital Chief Executive Officer Dr Kelvin Loh had said in a statement last night that "the patient remains in an extremely critical condition. She is under treatment at Mount Elizabeth Hospital`s Intensive Care Unit."
"Prior to her arrival, she has already undergone three abdominal surgeries, and experienced a cardiac arrest in India," said Dr Loh. "A multi-disciplinary team of specialists is taking care of her and doing everything possible to stabilise her condition."

The security was tightened at the hospital, favoured by well-heeled patients, with each visitor screened before being allowed into the ICU.

Meanwhile, The Straits Times today reported that the family of the girl, who is battling for life after being gang-raped in a moving bus in New Delhi 12 days ago, is shell-shocked, but thankful.

"The father said he is reassured that the best is being done for his daughter, and the rest lies in the hands of God," it said citing a source who had met the girl`s father and her two brothers.
The father, who is in the late 40s, repeatedly expressed his gratitude to the Indian government and Singapore for facilitating the travel and treatment.

"Aside from the trauma of the rape, they [the family] have to get used to the idea that they are now in a foreign land," the daily quoted the source as saying.

"These are simple, rustic people who have never dreamt of boarding an aircraft, much less travel to a foreign country in an air ambulance," the source was quoted as saying.

The family members do not speak English and rely on interpreters to communicate with hospital staff.

The High Commission of India has assigned a liaison officer with the family on 24 hour basis.

With PTI Inputs

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. You can find out more by clicking this link