Delhi gang-rape: Protesters observe black day at Jantar Mantar
New Delhi: With the chargesheet in the Delhi gang-rape likely to be filed on Thursday, protesters at Jantar Mantar here observed a black day, accusing the police of dragging their feet.
Braving the chill, many people, most of them college students, started joining others in their vigil at the 18th century observatory that has become the protest site since the horrific Dec 16 incident.
"The police should speed up investigations," said Puneet Bakshi, one the protesters.
Demanding capital punishment for the rapists, justice for the 23-year-old victim and stricter laws on crime against women, the crowd, though less in number, had high spirits.
"Don`t go by our numbers but by our strength and determination. We want quick justice in this case and won`t stop agitating till the time we get it," said Bakshi, a BPO employee who was part of a group of 10 youngsters.
Rajesh Gangwar and Babu Singh, who have been on a hunger strike for days over the issue, spent another night at Jantar Mantar in biting cold as the city`s temperature dipped to 4.4 degree Celsius.
Gangwar, from Bareilly in Uttar Pradesh, is on the 11th day of his fast. Babu Singh, from Farrukhabad in Uttar Pradesh, is on the day sixth of his fast.
Both are demanding immediate death sentences for the six accused in the gang-rape of the physiotherapy student who died in a Singapore hospital Dec 29.
"Our blood pressure was normal last night. Some doctors came from RML (Ram Manohar Lohia) hospital and took our blood samples to check our sugar levels," Gangwar told a news agency.
The protest spot continues to be heavily guarded with hundreds of police personnel present in riot gear.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- Barack Obama says UK committed to 'orderly transition' out of EU
- Islamic State captures 900 Kurdish civilians in north Syria in 3 weeks
- 33 killed in renewed clashes across Yemen
- 'North Korea now a nuclear threat to be reckoned with, Washington can expect more nuclear tests and missile launches'
- Two killed, 100 homes destroyed by fast-moving California wildfire