Delhi gang-rape: Public anger justified, says PM
New Delhi: Breaking his silence on the Delhi gangrape issue amid continuing protests, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Sunday night said the public anger is "genuine" and "justified" but appealed for peace while promising all steps to ensure safety of women in the country.
He said everybody was concerned for the 23-year-old victim who was brutally gang-raped in a moving bus on Sunday last.
Singh also expressed sadness over the turn of events that led to clashes between the angry protesters and the police and appealed for peace and calm.
"We are all joined in our concern for the young woman who was the victim of a heinous crime in Delhi. There is genuine and justified anger and anguish at this ghastly incident. We are constantly monitoring her medical condition. Let us all pray for her and her loved ones during this critical time," Singh said in a statement late tonight.
He said, "I feel deeply sad at the turn of events leading to clashes between protesters and police forces. I appeal to all concerned citizens to maintain peace and calm."
His statement came as protests continued for the sixth day today and turned violent today.
Assuring safety and security of women across the country, Singh said, "I assure you that we will make all possible efforts to ensure security and safety to all women in this country. I seek the cooperation of all sections of the society to help us in this endeavour and maintain peace."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH