Delhi gang-rape: Singh did not commit suicide, was killed, claim lawyers
New Delhi: There is some "foul play" behind the death of Ram Singh, one of the accused in the December 16 gang-rape of a 23-year-old girl who allegedly committed suicide in Tihar, his lawyer alleged on Monday.
"There is some foul play. He cannot commit suicide. He is not such a person that he can commit suicide. He was very happy with the way the trial was going on," lawyer VK Anand, who represents Singh and his brother Mukesh, alleged.
Anand also said he would move the Supreme Court for shifting the trial from Delhi as he feels that the accused are not safe here.
33-year-old Singh allegedly hanged himself with the help of his clothes from the grills of his cell in Jail No 3 at around 5 AM, jail officials said.
Lawyer AP Singh, appearing for Vinay Sharma and Akshay Singh, said that Ram Singh was "killed by jail authorities" and that Tihar is no longer safe for undertrials to be lodged in.
"Now I want that my clients should be released on bail as Tihar is no more safe place for them also. They will also be killed," he further said.
The sixth accused in the case is a minor who is facing proceedings before the Juvenile Justice Board and he has also been charged with rape and murder of the girl.
AP Singh said, "If Ram Singh was in depression, he would have committed suicide, three months back when he was arrested. He and our client were very much positive. I want CBI inquiry into the matter and against the officials who were on duty."
ML Sharma, who appeared for Singh initially, also alleged that Singh was killed by police.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in