Delhi gang-rape: Singh did not commit suicide, was killed, claim lawyers
New Delhi: There is some "foul play" behind the death of Ram Singh, one of the accused in the December 16 gang-rape of a 23-year-old girl who allegedly committed suicide in Tihar, his lawyer alleged on Monday.
"There is some foul play. He cannot commit suicide. He is not such a person that he can commit suicide. He was very happy with the way the trial was going on," lawyer VK Anand, who represents Singh and his brother Mukesh, alleged.
Anand also said he would move the Supreme Court for shifting the trial from Delhi as he feels that the accused are not safe here.
33-year-old Singh allegedly hanged himself with the help of his clothes from the grills of his cell in Jail No 3 at around 5 AM, jail officials said.
Lawyer AP Singh, appearing for Vinay Sharma and Akshay Singh, said that Ram Singh was "killed by jail authorities" and that Tihar is no longer safe for undertrials to be lodged in.
"Now I want that my clients should be released on bail as Tihar is no more safe place for them also. They will also be killed," he further said.
The sixth accused in the case is a minor who is facing proceedings before the Juvenile Justice Board and he has also been charged with rape and murder of the girl.
AP Singh said, "If Ram Singh was in depression, he would have committed suicide, three months back when he was arrested. He and our client were very much positive. I want CBI inquiry into the matter and against the officials who were on duty."
ML Sharma, who appeared for Singh initially, also alleged that Singh was killed by police.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH