Delhi gang-rape: Singh did not commit suicide, was killed, claim lawyers
New Delhi: There is some "foul play" behind the death of Ram Singh, one of the accused in the December 16 gang-rape of a 23-year-old girl who allegedly committed suicide in Tihar, his lawyer alleged on Monday.
"There is some foul play. He cannot commit suicide. He is not such a person that he can commit suicide. He was very happy with the way the trial was going on," lawyer VK Anand, who represents Singh and his brother Mukesh, alleged.
Anand also said he would move the Supreme Court for shifting the trial from Delhi as he feels that the accused are not safe here.
33-year-old Singh allegedly hanged himself with the help of his clothes from the grills of his cell in Jail No 3 at around 5 AM, jail officials said.
Lawyer AP Singh, appearing for Vinay Sharma and Akshay Singh, said that Ram Singh was "killed by jail authorities" and that Tihar is no longer safe for undertrials to be lodged in.
"Now I want that my clients should be released on bail as Tihar is no more safe place for them also. They will also be killed," he further said.
The sixth accused in the case is a minor who is facing proceedings before the Juvenile Justice Board and he has also been charged with rape and murder of the girl.
AP Singh said, "If Ram Singh was in depression, he would have committed suicide, three months back when he was arrested. He and our client were very much positive. I want CBI inquiry into the matter and against the officials who were on duty."
ML Sharma, who appeared for Singh initially, also alleged that Singh was killed by police.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, released later
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- DNA: Ground reporting of the deteriorating sanctity of Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- India vs New Zealand, 4th ODI: As it happened...