Delhi gang-rape: Singh did not commit suicide, was killed, claim lawyers
New Delhi: There is some "foul play" behind the death of Ram Singh, one of the accused in the December 16 gang-rape of a 23-year-old girl who allegedly committed suicide in Tihar, his lawyer alleged on Monday.
"There is some foul play. He cannot commit suicide. He is not such a person that he can commit suicide. He was very happy with the way the trial was going on," lawyer VK Anand, who represents Singh and his brother Mukesh, alleged.
Anand also said he would move the Supreme Court for shifting the trial from Delhi as he feels that the accused are not safe here.
33-year-old Singh allegedly hanged himself with the help of his clothes from the grills of his cell in Jail No 3 at around 5 AM, jail officials said.
Lawyer AP Singh, appearing for Vinay Sharma and Akshay Singh, said that Ram Singh was "killed by jail authorities" and that Tihar is no longer safe for undertrials to be lodged in.
"Now I want that my clients should be released on bail as Tihar is no more safe place for them also. They will also be killed," he further said.
The sixth accused in the case is a minor who is facing proceedings before the Juvenile Justice Board and he has also been charged with rape and murder of the girl.
AP Singh said, "If Ram Singh was in depression, he would have committed suicide, three months back when he was arrested. He and our client were very much positive. I want CBI inquiry into the matter and against the officials who were on duty."
ML Sharma, who appeared for Singh initially, also alleged that Singh was killed by police.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: America standing against old nemesis Russia rather than ISIS
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know