Delhi gang-rape: Something wrong with the system, says VK Singh
New Delhi: Former Army chief General VK Singh on Saturday reached India Gate in support of the gang-rape victim and said that the situation is “sad and pathetic”.
Emphasising that providing security is the sworn duty of every government functionary the retired General said, “Law and order is deteriorating and needs to be improved.”
“Police reforms are lying for years, they need to be implemented,” the former Army chief said.
Slamming the police system, the ex-Army chief said present condition is pathetic and no girl or a woman wants to go to police station.
General Singh, while participating in a protest demonstration at the India Gate against the Delhi-rape incident, said that there is something wrong with the system, which needs to be changed.
“If the measures taken were enough, why are the people in such a large number coming to protest here. Their (Police) primary duty is to ensure safety. They should be punished because they have failed. Dumping responsibilities on each other will not work, if we want to make the system work properly,” said Singh.
Referring to the Union Minister of state for Home Affairs RPN Singh’s night journey in a public bus to check out security measures in the capital, the retired Army chief said: “If he really wants to see action, he doesn’t need to travel in bus. A lot of things can be done otherwise too. As a common citizen I feel that without a systems change, nothing is going to improve.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM