Delhi gang-rape: Sonia not to celebrate New Year
New Delhi: Congress President Sonia Gandhi will not be celebrating the New Year in view of the gang-rape incident in the national capital.
"Sonia Gandhi has appealed to partymen and well-wishers against coming to her to extend New Year greetings in the wake of gangrape incident," party General Secretary Janardhan Dwivedi said here Monday.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Gandhi were present at the airport when the mortal remains of the 23-year-old gang-rape victim were flown in here yesterday morning from Singapore where she was shifted from Delhi`s Safdarjung Hospital for treatment. She died in Singapore`s Mount Elizebeth Hospital on Saturday morning.
Both Singh and Gandhi had spoken to the family members and consoled them.
"December 28 is close to New Year. Normally, we wish each other but not so this time as our thoughts are with the young woman...," she had told reporters on the 127th Foundation Day of Congress at AICC headquarters here on Friday.
Gandhi has sought speedy action against the perpetrators of the "barbarous" attack on the girl who was brutally raped and assaulted in a moving bus on December 16 in South Delhi.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living