Delhi gang-rape victim`s family unhappy with SC ruling, wants death for convicts
Zee Media Bureau/Ritesh K Srivastava
New Delhi: The family of the December 16 Delhi gang-rape victim is heavily disappointed with the Monday order of the Supreme Court staying the execution of two of the remaining convicts in the case and has demanded a death penalty for them.
"I am not happy with the decision of the Supreme Court to issue a stay order on the High Court`s decision to give death sentence to Akshay Thakur and Vinay Sharma (two of those gang-rape convicts)," the victim`s father was quoted as saying on Tuesday.
"The incident happened with my daughter. Despite the brutal act, she wanted to live but I failed to save her life. I have lost everything after her death. The Supreme Court judges should have feelings like me before taking any decision," the distraught father said.
The victim`s father further informed that his entire family was shocked over the Supreme Court`s decision. "My last demand is death sentence to the convicts. I will continue to fight for that," he added.
The victim`s mother also said that she was deeply disturbed by the top court`s decision and demanded justice for her daughter.
"We are not satisfied with the decision and are deeply disturbed after hearing about it. I don`t know on what basis the court has stayed their execution but we want our daughter to get justice," said the victim`s mother.
"All the four accused should get death sentence. They have committed a horrendous crime. They went beyond humanity. If they don`t deserve death sentence then who should get it?" she asked.
The reactions from the victim`s family came hours after the Supreme Court blocked the execution of Vinay Sharma and Akshay Thakur, the two remaining convicts on death row in the 16 December, 2012 gang-rape case, as it extended its 15 March order suspending the death sentence of the two other convicts, Mukesh and Pawan Gupta, in the same case.
The four convicts moved the Supreme Court, challenging the high court`s order.
A 23-year-old paramedical student and her male friend were attacked by six men on December 16, 2012 after they got on a private bus while going home from the cinema. Her friend was thrown to the back of the bus after being battered with an iron rod, which was later used to torture her. The couple was then thrown from the bus. The young woman succumbed due to her injuries 13 days later while battling for her life.
Last September, four of her attackers were convicted after the case was fast-tracked, while a juvenile was sentenced to three years in a detention centre. Ram Singh, who is the sixth accused in this case was found dead in jail in March last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?