Delhi gang-rape victim`s name could be revealed if family wants: Digvijay
Bhopal: After Union Minister Sashi Tharoor, Congress general secretary Digvijay Singh says the name of the Delhi gang rape victim could be made public arguing "it is now become a murder case".
Speaking to reporters here on Wednesday, Singh said initially, the case related only to rape but after the girl died, it is now a murder case and therefore, her name could be made public.
He said the Supreme Court had upheld that names of rape victims should not be made public.
He, however, said if family members of the victim wanted her name to be made public, then the whole matter should be considered thoughtfully.
Tharoor too had favoured making public the name of the victim and naming of a new anti-rape law after her if her family agreed to it.
Asked if he favoured giving capital punishment to rapists, Singh said the matter should be left to the JS Verma Committee to decide.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!