Delhi gang-rape: Victim`s parents want rapists hanged
New Delhi: Even as the nation demands strictest possible action against the accused in the brutal gang-rape of a 23-year-old para-medic student, her family has said that they want the rapists to be hanged.
Union Minister Krishna Tirath on Wednesday visited the family of the victim in the Safdarjang Hospital.
The minister reportedly said that the victim’s parents want death punishment for the rapists.
Even Prime Minister Manmohan Singh today described the gang-rape of the student as “a heinous crime,” adding it was “very upsetting”.
The PM also directed the Home Minister to ensure culprits are brought to book and such incidents are not repeated.
The 23-year-old girl meanwhile continues to battle for her life at the Safdarjung Hospital. Doctors today performed a second surgery on her.
The biggest problem being faced by the doctors is said to be septicaemia - a systemic infection, usually caused by bacteria of various types contaminating a person’s blood. In the girl’s case, Septicemia may have been caused due to the cuts she was inflicted with becoming infected.
The next 24 hours are critical for the girl; if she pulls through, her chances of survival will improve.
Two of the four accused, meanwhile, confessed to the crime before a court.
Vinay Sharma confessed to beating up the victim’s male friend and demanded that he be hanged.
“I have committed a horrible crime. I had beaten up the boy. I should be hanged,” Vinay told the court.
Pawan also said he had committed a “heinous act” and was ashamed of himself, but refused to undergo an identification parade.
The third accused, Mukesh – who is the brother of main accused Ram Singh – did not confess to the crime but agreed to undergo identification test by the victim`s male friend.
Ram Singh, the driver of the bus, was yesterday sent to five-day police custody.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Attack on Kabul`s American University ends as attackers killed
- Colombia announces historic peace pact
- Aamir Khan's '3 Idiots' sequel on the cards? Here's what Rajkumar Hirani has to say!
- 'Nirbhaya' gang-rape: Convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail, admitted to hospital
- Iranian Navy in `unsafe` intercept of US destroyer: Defense official