Delhi gang-rape: Will fight till convicts are hanged, says Nirbhaya’s family
Zee Media Bureau/ Deepak Nagpal
New Delhi: Sentences have been handed down in the gruesome December 16 Delhi gang-rape-cum-murder case. Four accused have been awarded death sentence.
The family of the 23-year-old victim is happy that finally, justice has been done to their daughter. However, it is not the end of their fight.
Immediately after pronouncement of the sentences on Friday, Nirbhaya’s mother had expressed satisfaction over the verdict.
“Halak mein saans atki thi, jo ab bahar nikli hai. Mein dhanywaad karti hu desh ke logon ka aur media ka’ (We were waiting with bated breath, now we are relieved. I thank the people of my country and the media),” she said.
Besides her, the victim’s father and two brothers also echoed the same sentiment.
However, while being satisfied they resolved that their battle will continue till the four convicts are hanged.
The four – Mukesh (26), Akshay Thakur (28), Pawan Gupta (19) and Vinay Sharma (20) – have the option to appeal their conviction in a higher court.
Of the remaining two convicts, Ram Singh had hanged himself in Tihar Jail in March earlier this year, while the juvenile was sentenced to three years’ in a reform home by the Juvenile Justice Board on August 31.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!