Delhi gang-rape: Will fight till convicts are hanged, says Nirbhaya’s family
Zee Media Bureau/ Deepak Nagpal
New Delhi: Sentences have been handed down in the gruesome December 16 Delhi gang-rape-cum-murder case. Four accused have been awarded death sentence.
The family of the 23-year-old victim is happy that finally, justice has been done to their daughter. However, it is not the end of their fight.
Immediately after pronouncement of the sentences on Friday, Nirbhaya’s mother had expressed satisfaction over the verdict.
“Halak mein saans atki thi, jo ab bahar nikli hai. Mein dhanywaad karti hu desh ke logon ka aur media ka’ (We were waiting with bated breath, now we are relieved. I thank the people of my country and the media),” she said.
Besides her, the victim’s father and two brothers also echoed the same sentiment.
However, while being satisfied they resolved that their battle will continue till the four convicts are hanged.
The four – Mukesh (26), Akshay Thakur (28), Pawan Gupta (19) and Vinay Sharma (20) – have the option to appeal their conviction in a higher court.
Of the remaining two convicts, Ram Singh had hanged himself in Tihar Jail in March earlier this year, while the juvenile was sentenced to three years’ in a reform home by the Juvenile Justice Board on August 31.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- World leaders kick off G7 talks with economy, terrorism and refugees in focus
- Indians face public wrath in Congo after Congolese national bludgeoned to death in Delhi; govt rejects racism claims
- Trump denounces illegal immigrants as tensions flare
- Regardless of N-deal, primary American embargo on Iran to stay: US Treasury Department
- UK PM Cameron says EU referendum turnout is greatest concern for 'In'