Delhi Govt and UIDAI to ink pact
New Delhi: Delhi Government will soon sign
a pact with Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI)
for smooth implementation of its ambitious project to issue
identification numbers to the city`s residents, who will
perhaps be among the first to get the identity proof.
Delhi Cabinet, presided over by Chief Minister Sheila
Dikshit, while approving an Memorandum of Understanding (MoU)
to be signed with the UIDAI, also decided constitute two
committees to oversee implementation of the project in Delhi.
"We have decided to sign an MoU with UIAI to provide all
possible cooperation to them and to make the project a great
success in Delhi," Dikshit said.
In September last year, after a meeting with Dikshit
chairman of UIDAI Nandan Nilekani had said that residents of
Delhi may get their identification numbers within three years.
The Authority has already signed similar pact with
some states and plans to enter into such agreements with other
states for its nation-wide project.
Dikshit said, "The project of this magnitude and
complexity cannot be implemented without active support of the
state governments and hence the city government has decided to
sign an MoU with the authority."
As per the MoU, the UIDAI will develop standards for
recording bio-metric data of residents and prescribe standards
and criteria for verification of residents to be eligible for
the UID and the city government will put in place an
institutional mechanism and provide human resources for data
The government will also provide required financial
and other resources to UIDAI.
The Revenue Department has been declared as the nodal
department for the project and divisional commissioners have
been designated as the Nodal Officers.
"The Cabinet has approved a draft MoU which will be
signed soon by the Chief Secretary on behalf of the city
government," the Chief Minister said.
Noting that the unique identification number to be
issued by the UIDAI would also help the city government to
more effectively deliver services to the people, she said it
will help identification of actual beneficiaries.
The collaboration with UIDAI will help accurate
verification and identification of beneficiaries for various
government schemes, officials said.
Stressing on the need for proper monitoring of entire
exercise, Dikshit said the Cabinet has also decided to
constitute an implementation committee with the Chief
Secretary as its chairman.
The cabinet has also decided to constitute a State
Level Council to be headed by the Chief Minister to monitor
implementation of the entire project.
Asked whether the Government will offer its database
of citizens prepared for Mission Convergence programme to
UIDAI, Dikshit said she will not have any problem sharing it.
Officials said the database of nine lakh households
and 42 lakh people is very comprehensive as it was prepared
based on biometric information of the residents.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi