Delhi govt asks MCD to set up more night shelters
New Delhi: Delhi Government today asked
MCD to set up more night shelters in the city to provide
relief to the homeless from the biting cold.
Social Welfare Minister Mangat Ram Singhal shot off a
letter to Mayor Kanwar Sain, asking him to set up more
shelters for the homeless.
After a Supreme Court directive to authorities to
ensure adequate shelters for the homeless in the capital, the
MCD yesterday had opened 37 new night shelters in various
parts of the city, while Delhi Government had made
arrangements to provide shelters to around 10,000 people.
The MCD is currently running a total of 64 night
The minister said his department would also provide
fund to the MCD to set up more night shelters.
Taking a serious view of poor people in the capital
suffering due to the biting cold conditions, the Supreme Court
on Wednesday had directed the Delhi Government to ensure
adequate shelters, blankets and water facilities for the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown