Delhi govt asks MCD to set up more night shelters
New Delhi: Delhi Government today asked
MCD to set up more night shelters in the city to provide
relief to the homeless from the biting cold.
Social Welfare Minister Mangat Ram Singhal shot off a
letter to Mayor Kanwar Sain, asking him to set up more
shelters for the homeless.
After a Supreme Court directive to authorities to
ensure adequate shelters for the homeless in the capital, the
MCD yesterday had opened 37 new night shelters in various
parts of the city, while Delhi Government had made
arrangements to provide shelters to around 10,000 people.
The MCD is currently running a total of 64 night
The minister said his department would also provide
fund to the MCD to set up more night shelters.
Taking a serious view of poor people in the capital
suffering due to the biting cold conditions, the Supreme Court
on Wednesday had directed the Delhi Government to ensure
adequate shelters, blankets and water facilities for the
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Will never talk about my personal life, boyfriend: Sonam Kapoor
- PeeCee's day out! Priyanka Chopra spends candid time with besties – Pictures inside
- WATCH: Gujarat Lions' mystery spinner Shivil Kaushik reminded us of Paul Adams - Here's why!
- CISCE ICSE Class 10, ISC Class 12 Examinations Results 2016 to be announced on May 6 at 3 pm
- Photo alert! Imran Khan and wife Avantika Malik party with Ranbir Kapoor