Delhi govt asks MCD to set up more night shelters
New Delhi: Delhi Government today asked
MCD to set up more night shelters in the city to provide
relief to the homeless from the biting cold.
Social Welfare Minister Mangat Ram Singhal shot off a
letter to Mayor Kanwar Sain, asking him to set up more
shelters for the homeless.
After a Supreme Court directive to authorities to
ensure adequate shelters for the homeless in the capital, the
MCD yesterday had opened 37 new night shelters in various
parts of the city, while Delhi Government had made
arrangements to provide shelters to around 10,000 people.
The MCD is currently running a total of 64 night
The minister said his department would also provide
fund to the MCD to set up more night shelters.
Taking a serious view of poor people in the capital
suffering due to the biting cold conditions, the Supreme Court
on Wednesday had directed the Delhi Government to ensure
adequate shelters, blankets and water facilities for the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I know why Indrani Mukherjea murdered my sister Sheena: Mikhail Bora
- OROP issue: With no breakthrough in sight, Army veterans may meet PM Narendra Modi today
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police