Delhi govt asks MCD to set up more night shelters
New Delhi: Delhi Government today asked
MCD to set up more night shelters in the city to provide
relief to the homeless from the biting cold.
Social Welfare Minister Mangat Ram Singhal shot off a
letter to Mayor Kanwar Sain, asking him to set up more
shelters for the homeless.
After a Supreme Court directive to authorities to
ensure adequate shelters for the homeless in the capital, the
MCD yesterday had opened 37 new night shelters in various
parts of the city, while Delhi Government had made
arrangements to provide shelters to around 10,000 people.
The MCD is currently running a total of 64 night
The minister said his department would also provide
fund to the MCD to set up more night shelters.
Taking a serious view of poor people in the capital
suffering due to the biting cold conditions, the Supreme Court
on Wednesday had directed the Delhi Government to ensure
adequate shelters, blankets and water facilities for the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- NT Awards 2016: Zeenews.com bags 'Best News Channel Website' honour
- Son of Kota Central jail prisoner clears IIT entrance exam
- Cabinet approves Act allowing malls, restaurants, theaters to stay open 24×7
- New framework that can predict terrorist attacks developed!
- Actor Irrfan Khan stirs controversy over statement on Ramadan rituals
- At least 18 killed by a roadside bomb in Somalia
- 'Too much' or 'too little' sleep can raise diabetes risk in men
- 7th Pay Commission: No decision yet on increase in allowances; pay hike to be implemented from Jan 2016
- Ephedrine haul case: Accused gets threat not to turn approver
- Yo Yo Honey Singh battled bipolar disease, thanks doctor for treatment!