Delhi govt asks MCD to set up more night shelters
New Delhi: Delhi Government today asked
MCD to set up more night shelters in the city to provide
relief to the homeless from the biting cold.
Social Welfare Minister Mangat Ram Singhal shot off a
letter to Mayor Kanwar Sain, asking him to set up more
shelters for the homeless.
After a Supreme Court directive to authorities to
ensure adequate shelters for the homeless in the capital, the
MCD yesterday had opened 37 new night shelters in various
parts of the city, while Delhi Government had made
arrangements to provide shelters to around 10,000 people.
The MCD is currently running a total of 64 night
The minister said his department would also provide
fund to the MCD to set up more night shelters.
Taking a serious view of poor people in the capital
suffering due to the biting cold conditions, the Supreme Court
on Wednesday had directed the Delhi Government to ensure
adequate shelters, blankets and water facilities for the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal