Delhi govt bows to pressure, partially rolls back LPG prices
New Delhi: Bowing to mounting pressure from the opposition parties as well as the people, the Delhi government on Monday partially rolled back the prices of LPG gas cylinders meant for domestic consumption as well as the CNG.
The Delhi government, in its 2010-2011 Budget announced recently, had withdrawn the Rs 40 subsidy extended to LPG gas cylinders. However, in the wake of increasing public pressure, it has decided to withdraw the value-added tax (VAT) imposed on the LPG.
The prices of LPG cylinders in the national capital are now likely to come down by Rs 12-15, meaning the effective hike for domestic consumers would be somewhere between Rs 25 to 28.
Also, the Indraprastha Gas Limited, which supplies compressed natural gas to Delhi and surrounding areas, had recently announced an increase of 50 paise per kg in the consumer price of CNG.
To offset that burden, the Sheila Dikshit government today announced the withdrawal of VAT imposed on the CNG.
The entire public transport system in Delhi runs on CNG, and a reduction in its prices will likely see the prices of essential commodities come down due to low transportation cost.
The government also decided to reduce the VAT charged on coffee and tea, from 12.5% to 5%.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Gurmehar Kaur controversy: Twitter turns into battleground after Virender Sehwag trolls Kargil martyr's daughter
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician