Delhi govt signs pact with UIDAI
New Delhi: The Delhi government has
signed a pact with Unique Identification Authority of India
(UIDAI) for smooth implementation of its ambitious project to
issue identification numbers to the city`s residents.
Delhi Revenue Minister Raj Kumar Chauhan said Delhi
government will whole heartedly provide all assistance for
successful implementation of the national project.
Officials said Delhi is likely to be one of the first
states to get the Unique Identification Numbers.
As per the MoU, the UIDAI will develop standards for
recording bio-metric data of residents and prescribe standards
and criteria for verification of residents to be eligible for
the UID and the city government will put in place an
institutional mechanism and provide human resources for data
Delhi Cabinet, presided over by Chief Minister Sheila
Dikshit, last month had approved the MoU with the UIDAI.
Chauhan said a state level council headed by Dikshit
has been constituted to oversee implementation of the project
in Delhi. Chauhan, Finance Minister A K Walia and Chief
Secretary Rakesh Mehta are members of the council. An
implementation committee with the Chief Secretary as its
chairman has also been formed.
Chauhan said the government will also provide required
financial and other resources to UIDAI. The Revenue Department
has been declared as the nodal department for the project and
divisional commissioners have been designated as the Nodal
Last September, after a meeting with Dikshit, UIDAI
chairman Nandan Nilekani had said that residents of Delhi may
get their identification numbers within three years.
The Authority has already signed similar pact with
some states and plans to enter into such agreements with other
states for its nation-wide project.
Chauhan said the unique identification number would
also help the city government to more effectively deliver
services to the people.
The collaboration with UIDAI will help accurate
verification and identification of beneficiaries for various
government schemes, officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?