Delhi-Haridwar NH to be closed due to kanwarias
Muzaffarnagar: The Delhi-Haridwar National Highway will be closed for traffic for 10 days
beginning Tuesday to facilitate smooth movement of `kanwarias`, devotees of Lord Shiva.
SSP Praveen Kumar said the step has been taken to prevent any untoward incident during movement of `kanwarias`.
District authorities have also decided to close all schools and colleges in the district from July 20 to July 29 due to diversion of routes, District Magistrate Pankaj Kumar said today.
Kanwarias collect holy water of River Ganga in Haridwar in pots and walk back to their home during the Hindu month of `Shravan`.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued