Delhi HC declines contempt proceedings against Maneka Gandhi
The Delhi High Court has declined to initiate contempt proceedings against Maneka Gandhi after accepting the apology tendered by her for writing an article in a newspaper.
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court has declined to
initiate contempt proceedings against former Union Minister
Maneka Gandhi after accepting the apology tendered by her for
writing an article in a newspaper during the pendency of a
case pertaining to animal protection.
A Division Bench of Justice A K Sikri and Justice S
Ravindra Bhat in a recent order took note of her affidavit
admitting her mistake and offering apology in the matter.
"Maneka Gandhi had already sworn affidavit dated
November 4, 2009 in which she has accepted the fault and has
tendered unconditional apology for writing the article Lethal
Toys," the Bench said.
"She was under a bona fide impression that as the
review petition is pending for over a period of five years, it
must have been disposed of. This was a grave mistake. She
admits that she should have verified the status of the review
petition before writing the said article," the Bench also
The Bench`s order came on a petition filed by the
National Rifle Association of India as well as the
manufacturers of Air guns, air pistols and pellets seeking
initiation of court proceedings against her for writing the
contemptuous article during the pendency of a review petition
filed by them in the court.