Delhi HC directive to Guru Govind Singh Indra Prastha Univ
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court has directed
the Guru Govind Singh Indra Prashtha(GGSIP) University to make “scrupulous” use of quota seats in case of non-availability of candidates under reserved categories.
A division bench of Chief Justice Dipak Misra and Justice
Manmohan set aside the order of a single judge who allowed the
admission of general category candidates for reserved seats
without considering their ranks due to fulfillment of quota
seats in Maharaja Agrasen Institute of Technology (MAIT) for
the academic year 2010-2011.
"We direct that the University shall follow the concept of reservation and the fall out of non-availability of the reserved category candidates in a scruplous manner from
the next academic year so that the seats shall not go waste",
the bench said.
A Common Entrance Test (CET) was conducted by the
University on June 5, 2010, for admission to Engineering and
However, some seats under the reserved category which
remained vacant in the MAIT were filled as per the direction
of a single judge who had been approached by some general
category candidates in October last year.
"We have no shadow of doubt that the learned single
judge is not justified in directing giving admission to the
respondents in both the writ petitions solely on the ground
that the seats should not go waste and they should be given
admission", the bench said.
The court expressed its anguish over the university`s
act of not discharging its duty by saying "when the
reservation has been directed to be fixed by the university in
respect of a particular college or an institution, there has
to be counseling in respect of all the candidates who were
left out and not only the appellant solely because he had come
to fight a common cause".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical