Delhi HC imposes Rs 2.5 lakh fine on ND Tiwari
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court Wednesday imposed a fine of Rs 2.5 lakh on veteran Congress leader ND Tiwari for repeatedly failing to adhere to its order.
A division bench of Justice Ravindra Bhat and Justice RV Easwar asked Tiwari to pay Rs 2.5 lakh to Rohit Shekhar, who had filed a paternity suit claiming Tiwari is his biological father.
The bench also rejected Tiwari`s application asking that the cross examination be held outside the court premises.
The court, granting Tiwari a last opportunity for cross examination, asked him to remain present in the court Feb 20 before the local commissioner appointed by it.
Tiwari had consistently failed to comply with the orders of the Supreme Court and the high court, the lawyer appearing for Shekhar contended.
The Supreme Court Nov 2012 ordered the high court to expeditiously proceed with the paternity suit filed against Tiwari.
In 2008, Rohit Shekhar had filed a paternity suit in the high court seeking to declare Tiwari as his biological father.
A single judge bench Sep 18, 2013 rejected Tiwari`s plea to hold his cross examination outside the court premises.
The judge directed Tiwari to appear before the high court-appointed local commissioner for recording of evidence.
Tiwari did not appear and instead moved an application seeking postponement of the cross-examination for eight weeks. The plea was rejected by the court.
The high court July 27, 2012 read out a DNA report in the case, according to which Tiwari was shown as Shekhar`s biological father.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH