Delhi HC imposes Rs 2.5 lakh fine on ND Tiwari
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court Wednesday imposed a fine of Rs 2.5 lakh on veteran Congress leader ND Tiwari for repeatedly failing to adhere to its order.
A division bench of Justice Ravindra Bhat and Justice RV Easwar asked Tiwari to pay Rs 2.5 lakh to Rohit Shekhar, who had filed a paternity suit claiming Tiwari is his biological father.
The bench also rejected Tiwari`s application asking that the cross examination be held outside the court premises.
The court, granting Tiwari a last opportunity for cross examination, asked him to remain present in the court Feb 20 before the local commissioner appointed by it.
Tiwari had consistently failed to comply with the orders of the Supreme Court and the high court, the lawyer appearing for Shekhar contended.
The Supreme Court Nov 2012 ordered the high court to expeditiously proceed with the paternity suit filed against Tiwari.
In 2008, Rohit Shekhar had filed a paternity suit in the high court seeking to declare Tiwari as his biological father.
A single judge bench Sep 18, 2013 rejected Tiwari`s plea to hold his cross examination outside the court premises.
The judge directed Tiwari to appear before the high court-appointed local commissioner for recording of evidence.
Tiwari did not appear and instead moved an application seeking postponement of the cross-examination for eight weeks. The plea was rejected by the court.
The high court July 27, 2012 read out a DNA report in the case, according to which Tiwari was shown as Shekhar`s biological father.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row