Delhi HC notice to govt on milk adulteration
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Wednesday took suo moto notice of media reports that around 70 percent milk supplied in the country was adulterated.
It issued notices to the Centre and Delhi government and sought a reply on the matter by January 25.
Alarmed by the shocking revelation, the Health Ministry has today called an urgent meeting over the issue. Officials from the Health Ministry, Delhi Milk Scheme (DMS) and milk producer Mother Dairy will take part in the meeting.
A test conducted by a government agency had revealed that nearly 70% of the milk supplied in the national capital Delhi and across the country was adulterated.
The Food Safety Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) randomly carried out tests in 33 states and Union Territories only to discover that milk is being spiked with detergents, fat and even urea besides the traditional dilution with water.
Out of 71 samples lifted from Delhi, 50 carried contaminants varying from glucose to skimmed milk powder which is generally added to milk to enhance volume. Across the country 68.4% samples were found to be contaminated.
Pune and Goa made into the list as the exceptions with 100 % samples conforming to the required standards. On the opposite poles were West Bengal, Bihar, Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand, Orissa and Mizoram where not a single sample met the norms.
Among the major states, approximately 89% samples from Jammu & Kashmir, 81% from Punjab, 76% Rajasthan, 70% from Delhi and Haryana and 65% from Maharashtra were found to be negative.
The states that performed comparatively better included Karnataka (22%), Tamil Nadu (12%) and Madhya Pradesh (6.5%).
The sample summing up to a size of 1,791 was randomly selected and analysed from 33 states. Only a meagre 31.5% could conform to the FSSAI standards with the rest indicating the health threats we are prone to.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- West Bengal Board Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 announced
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh