Delhi HC notice to govt on milk adulteration
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Wednesday took suo moto notice of media reports that around 70 percent milk supplied in the country was adulterated.
It issued notices to the Centre and Delhi government and sought a reply on the matter by January 25.
Alarmed by the shocking revelation, the Health Ministry has today called an urgent meeting over the issue. Officials from the Health Ministry, Delhi Milk Scheme (DMS) and milk producer Mother Dairy will take part in the meeting.
A test conducted by a government agency had revealed that nearly 70% of the milk supplied in the national capital Delhi and across the country was adulterated.
The Food Safety Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) randomly carried out tests in 33 states and Union Territories only to discover that milk is being spiked with detergents, fat and even urea besides the traditional dilution with water.
Out of 71 samples lifted from Delhi, 50 carried contaminants varying from glucose to skimmed milk powder which is generally added to milk to enhance volume. Across the country 68.4% samples were found to be contaminated.
Pune and Goa made into the list as the exceptions with 100 % samples conforming to the required standards. On the opposite poles were West Bengal, Bihar, Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand, Orissa and Mizoram where not a single sample met the norms.
Among the major states, approximately 89% samples from Jammu & Kashmir, 81% from Punjab, 76% Rajasthan, 70% from Delhi and Haryana and 65% from Maharashtra were found to be negative.
The states that performed comparatively better included Karnataka (22%), Tamil Nadu (12%) and Madhya Pradesh (6.5%).
The sample summing up to a size of 1,791 was randomly selected and analysed from 33 states. Only a meagre 31.5% could conform to the FSSAI standards with the rest indicating the health threats we are prone to.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- NT Awards 2016: Zeenews.com bags 'Best News Channel Website' honour
- Son of Kota Central jail prisoner clears IIT entrance exam
- Cabinet approves Act allowing malls, restaurants, theaters to stay open 24×7
- New framework that can predict terrorist attacks developed!
- Actor Irrfan Khan stirs controversy over statement on Ramadan rituals
- Mumbai architect receives Rs 5 crore extortion call from gangster Ravi Pujari
- 7th Pay Commission: Salary hike to boost demand in consumer durables sector
- 7th Pay Commission: Unions reject Centre's pay hike, threaten to go on strike
- It's a 'happy-sad feeling' for Anushka Sharma as 'Phillauri' shoot comes to an end!
- Lankan Navy damages seven boats of Tamil Nadu fishermen