Delhi HC rejects order on MBBS course admission
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Thursday set aside its single judge`s order directing Medical Council of India (MCI) to grant permission to three private medical colleges for enrolling more number of students in MBBS course from this academic session.
The court, however, asked the Board of Governors of the Council to consider the applications of the medical colleges and take a final decision on merits within a week.
"The corrective course warranted is to give a direction to the Board of Governors to consider the inspection reports and such other relevant material and take a decision on merits whether or not the admission capacity has to be increased....," said a division bench of justices Pradeep Nandrajog and Sunil Gaur said.
The court`s order came while disposing of MCI`s plea against the single judge`s order for increase in the number of seats from 100 to 150 in each college.
The bench also restrained the private medical colleges- Teerthanker Mahaveer Institute of Management and Technology, Rama Medical College Hospital and Research Centre anSchool
of Medical Sciences and Research, Sharda University, from proceeding with the counselling and fill the seats.
"We require the Board of Governors to take a final
decision on merits within a week from today by treating the
writ petitioners eligible to seek enhancement of seats from
100 to 150 in the MBBS Course pertaining to the current
academic year and if it is found that the writ petitioners are
entitled to increase the seats in view of they having met the
requisite criteria in terms of infrastructure etc. to pass the
necessary orders," the bench said.
Earlier this month, the single judge had directed MCI to
grant permission to these colleges to increase the number of
seats from 100 to 150 each in the MBBS course from this
The private colleges had challenged the MCI order
rejecting their plea to increase their intake in the MBBS
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!