Delhi HC seeks response from CBI on Buta`s petition
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Wednesday sought response from the CBI on a petition filed by NCSC Chairman Buta Singh accusing the probe agency of illegally summoning him for interrogation in an alleged bribery case involving his son.
Singh, a former Bihar Governor and Chairman of National Commission for Schedule Caste (NCSC), contended that he holds a post of Cabinet rank and the CBI cannot question or interrogate him without taking sanction from the Centre.
"I have been issued three summons to appear before the agency on August 19, 24 and 31 without taking mandatory sanction from the Centre. I hold a cabinet rank post and the agency cannot summon me without taking permission from the government," senior advocate K T S Tulsi, appearing for Singh, said.
Justice Geeta Mittal, after hearing his contention, issued notice to CBI and directed it to file its response by Monday, the date on which Singh has been asked to appear before the agency.
Advocate Harish Gulati, appearing for CBI, accepted the notice and said he would take instructions from the agency on whether sanction was taken or not before summoning Singh. Singh had yesterday approached the Delhi High Court challenging CBI`s notice to appear before it as a witness in connection with a case of alleged bribery against his son Sarobjit Singh.
"Issuing notice by CBI is violative of Delhi Special Police Establishment Act which says that government sanction is required to interrogate a public servant above the rank of Deputy Secretary," Singh said in his petition.
Buta Singh`s son was arrested on July 31 by CBI for allegedly demanding a bribe of Rs one crore from a Nashik- based contractor to close an atrocity case against him pending before the Scheduled Caste Commission headed by his father.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people