Delhi HC seeks response from CBI on Buta`s petition
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Wednesday sought response from the CBI on a petition filed by NCSC Chairman Buta Singh accusing the probe agency of illegally summoning him for interrogation in an alleged bribery case involving his son.
Singh, a former Bihar Governor and Chairman of National Commission for Schedule Caste (NCSC), contended that he holds a post of Cabinet rank and the CBI cannot question or interrogate him without taking sanction from the Centre.
"I have been issued three summons to appear before the agency on August 19, 24 and 31 without taking mandatory sanction from the Centre. I hold a cabinet rank post and the agency cannot summon me without taking permission from the government," senior advocate K T S Tulsi, appearing for Singh, said.
Justice Geeta Mittal, after hearing his contention, issued notice to CBI and directed it to file its response by Monday, the date on which Singh has been asked to appear before the agency.
Advocate Harish Gulati, appearing for CBI, accepted the notice and said he would take instructions from the agency on whether sanction was taken or not before summoning Singh. Singh had yesterday approached the Delhi High Court challenging CBI`s notice to appear before it as a witness in connection with a case of alleged bribery against his son Sarobjit Singh.
"Issuing notice by CBI is violative of Delhi Special Police Establishment Act which says that government sanction is required to interrogate a public servant above the rank of Deputy Secretary," Singh said in his petition.
Buta Singh`s son was arrested on July 31 by CBI for allegedly demanding a bribe of Rs one crore from a Nashik- based contractor to close an atrocity case against him pending before the Scheduled Caste Commission headed by his father.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark