Delhi HC suggests more members in NCPCR
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Wednesday
suggested the Centre increase the number of members in the
selection committee for appointment of the Chairperson and
members of the National Commission for Protection of Child
A Division Bench of Chief Justice A P Shah and Justice
Rajiv Sahai Endlaw suggested the central government include
Chairman of UPSC in the selection committee for appointment of
the NCPCR members.
Appearing for the Centre, Solicitor General Gopal
Subramanium told the Bench that the selection committee
comprises Minister for Women and Child Development besides
two senior officers for the appointment of the Chairperson.
In the case of appointment of NCPCR members, the
Minister, in association with the Chairperson and other
officers, select the members, the counsel submitted.
The Bench was hearing a PIL challenging the appointment
of two NCPCR members Sandhya Bajaj and Dipa Dixit alleging
they do not fulfil the eligibility criteria to become members.
The petitioner`s counsel Prashant Bhushan has alleged
the two members were appointed in April 2007 `purely` on the
basis of their proximity with the ruling party and its
Seeking a direction for strict compliance of the statue,
the counsel said these members fulfill the requirements like
they have to be from the field of education or child health or
juvenile justice care or from the field of social welfare.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Massive storm at JNU over Afzal Guru as 'anti-India' slogans raised; university orders disciplinary enquiry
- Superstar Shah Rukh Khan's CPL franchise is now Trinbago Knight Riders
- India mourns Lance Naik Hanumanthappa Koppad's death: Who said what
- Came to Mumbai from Pakistan to select 26/11 attack sites, David Headley tells Mumbai court
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf