Delhi hotel gets ready to host Obama
New Delhi: Closed for renovation, DumPukht, the famous Indian cuisine restaurant at Maurya Sheraton here, will be ready just in time for the high-profile visit of Barack Obama and his wife, who will stay at the ITC hotel that is engaged in extensive preparations for hosting the US President.
Besides working on various delicacies for the Obamas,
who will have a two-day stay here, the hotel is also preparing
to treat them with traditional Indian therapies at their
"The spa managers at kaya kalp are working on this,"
an official said.
ITC Maurya, among other things, is known for its
restaurants -- Bukhara, Dakshin and DumPukht -- all famous for
their authentic Indian cuisine.
Bukhara, in fact has earlier hosted President Bill
Clinton and also offered a `Hillary Platter` to the Secretary
This time around, the `Obama Platter`, is expected to
have fish on it, besides `murgh khurchan`, among other things,
One of the reasons why the hotel is a favourite
destination of heads of states and other high profile
dignitaries is its three accommodation wings which make it
Given the fact that all the three wings have their own
elevators, receptions and kitchens makes it difficult to guess
where the dignitary is actually staying, officials say.
On his arrival from Mumbai on November 7, Obama will
be accorded a traditional Indian reception at the hotel
complete with an `aarti` and `tilak`.
The hotel, in fact, is preparing to make the stay of
Obama -- the third US president in 10 years to stay at the
hotel -- a complete Indian experience.
The hotel, which is built in the shape of a `Buddhist
stupa`, has an ambience that reflects the spirit of the country.
The hotel receptions are adorned with the paintings of
M F Hussain and works of Krishan Khanna.
Clinton in 2000, and George W Bush in 2006, had both
been hosted by the same hotel.
"The protocol for hosting heads of states is the same.
It is up to the visiting dignitary to make his or her visit
different," a source said, recalling how Clinton had broken
off the security cordon several times, and had actually made
his way into the kitchen of the Bukhara restaurant.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state