Delhi-Katra train service formally begins
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: The train service between Delhi and Katra began from Monday to facilitate travelling for pilgrims visiting the Mata Vaishno Devi Shrine.
The AC superfast `Shri Shakti Express` departed from New Delhi station today.
First Delhi-Katra 'Shri Shakti Express' leaves from New Delhi station pic.twitter.com/Dfw6HeVPFb
— ANI (@ANI_news) July 14, 2014
It will leave at 5:30 pm daily from the national capital and arrive at Shri Mata Vaishno Devi Katra station at 5:10 am the next day.
Similarly, in the return direction, it will depart from there at 10:55 pm daily and reach here at 10:45 am the next day, a Northern Railway statement said.
Comprising one first AC, five AC two-tier and nine AC three-tier coaches, the train will have stoppages at Ambala Cantt, Ludhiana, Jalandhar Cantt, Pathankot Cantt, Jammu Tawi and Udhampur stations enroute in both directions.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi had on July 4 flagged off the first train from Katra while commissioning the 25-km-long Udhampur-Katra line, built at an estimated cost of Rs 1,132.75 crore.
At the function, the PM had named the train Shri Shakti Express and said such services are planned from major cities in the country. The shrine attracts about 10 million pilgrims annually.
Katra station is equipped with modern facilities, including tourist guide counter, cloak room, waiting hall, VIP lounge, escalators and lifts and parking spaces.
The train connectivity to Katra is part of the ambitious Kashmir rail link project marking region`s rail connectivity with the rest of the country.
(With PTI Inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days