Delhi Lt-Governor`s revival of officials` public meet faces hiccups
New Delh: Lt-Governor Najeeb Jung`s attempt to revive the culture of public hearing by Delhi government officials faced hiccups today as a section of officers remained absent to hear citizens grievances for redressal.
To make the functioning of the government more sensitive and citizen friendly, Jung on Tuesday had directed all principal secretaries, secretaries and Head of Departments (HODs) to be available in their offices from 11 AM to 1 PM everyday except on Wednesdays to meet the public and listen to their grievances for redressal.
But despite a circular issued by Chief Secretary in this regard, officials of some departments remained unaware about it while some principal secretaries and HODs were not to be found in their chambers, Delhi government sources said.
In cases where department heads were present, very few people turned up due to lack of publicity and awareness and those who turned up were found running from one counter to another due to lack of clarity, they added.
Some departments altered the timings from 11 AM to 12 PM. The transport department has reduced timing of public meeting by one hour. It had pasted a notification stating public meeting from 12 PM to 1 PM.
The staff at excise department was not aware about such directions while officials of food and supplies department were not found in the office, the sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- No liberal approach, mediation or compromise in rape cases: Supreme Court
- Lalitgate: Centre denies deal with Congress over Sushma Swaraj, Vasundhara Raje
- Lalitgate: BJP helping fugitives, law breakers; PM Modi doing 'Maun Yoga', alleges Congress