Delhi Metro’s Inderlok-Mundka line likely by weekend
New Delhi: DMRC`s Inderlok-Mundka line,
the country`s first standard gauge corridor, is likely to be
inaugurated this weekend with the Commissioner of Metro Rail
Safety on Tuesday concluding his two-day inspection of the route.
Commissioner of Metro Rail Safety RK Kardam inspected
the 15.1 km corridor that would benefit lakhs of people in the
national capital`s west and northwest areas.
Though he has not yet given the formal no-objection
certificate to the DMRC, official sources said he is likely to
give a green signal tomorrow. The launch is likely to take
place on Friday.
The corridor, also called the Green Line, will connect
two existing stations -- Inderlok (on Dilshad Garden-Rithala
line) and Kirti Nagar (on Dwarka Sec 9-Noida City Centre/Anand
DMRC had earlier said it would inaugurate the
Inderlok-Mundka line by March 31 as per schedule.
This will be the first standard gauge metro line in
the country. DMRC`s other lines are broad gauge. This will
make the Delhi Metro probably the only Metro in the world,
which will operate on both standard gauge and broad gauge in
the same city.
Standard gauge lines have a width of 4 feet x 8.5
inches between the tracks while broad gauge lines have a width
of 5 feet x 6 inches between the tracks.
DMRC projects that at least 2.5 lakh commuters would
be added to Metro`s expanding network in the capital by the
end of 2010 with the opening of the Mundka-Inderlok line.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened