Delhi not an option for agitation: Kiran Bedi
New Delhi: The winter cold in the national capital ruled it out as an option for Anna Hazare`s agitation from Dec 27 for a strong Lokpal bill, Team Anna member Kiran Bedi said on Friday.
"Delhi is not an option because of the cold weather and you have to respect his (Hazare) age of 74. Not only Anna but there would be many others who would fast with him and people will stay back," Bedi told reporters here.
"It’s also for the health of the others that Anna cannot fast in Delhi, so we have to be in Mumbai, she added.
Bedi also reiterated Hazare’s threat made earlier in the day that an agitation would be launched inside a jail if no space was available.
As Anna said in the morning, if there is no space outside, he will fast in the jail, said Bedi.
Hazare was to fast in Delhi but the venue was shifted to Mumbai in the wake of the chill in the national capital. The venue in Mumbai has not yet been finalised.
While permission was denied for Mumbai`s Azad Maidan, a rent of Rs 3.5 lakh per day plus a deposit has been quoted for the MMRDA ground, another proposed venue.
However, Hazare`s India Against Corruption (IAC) group Thursday filed a petition in the Bombay High Court against the rent demanded by city authorities for allowing it to hold its proposed protest at MMRDA grounds from Dec 27.
Bedi said that people had started registering online for the `jail bharo’ agitation from next week.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing