Delhi on guard, crowded areas under police scanner
New Delhi: Elaborate security arrangements have been made in all crowded areas of the national capital in the wake of a terror alert issued by the US and three other countries, police said Sunday.
"Delhi police are not just concentrating on markets and malls in the national capital, but we are also keeping strict vigil on all crowded areas as it`s a weekend," Delhi Police spokesman Rajan Bhagat said.
"Additional police forces are being deployed in all the market areas like Connaught Place, Mehrauli, Karol Bagh, Sarojini Nagar and Chandni Chowk. Even big malls in and around the city have been alerted on security checks," he said.
Soon after the terror alert, the Delhi Police appealed to the public to be vigilant. "If any suspicious object, person or vehicle is noticed, information should be passed on immediately to the nearest police station, or the public can call up toll free number - 1090," Bhagat said.
The city has been on high alert following security advisories by the US, Australia, Britain and Canada Saturday that warned their respective citizens of "increased indications" of terrorists planning "imminent attacks" in Delhi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Shameless cheating in exams, when will Bihar learn?
- Setback for Air India as 30 Boeing 787 Dreamliner pilots resign
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- Trade unions` strike hits normal life across India
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Parineeti Chopra turns 'sexy pari' for sizzling photo-shoot