Delhi Police action is an attempt to muzzle people`s voice: BJP
New Delhi: BJP on Saturday condemned the Delhi Police action against a news channel which aired an interview of the gang-rape victim`s friend, saying it is an attempt to muzzle the voice of the people and an attack on freedom of the press.
"Delhi Police cannot muzzle voice of the citizen by lodging a case against the channel. People have a right to know the truth," Leader of Opposition in Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj posted on micro-blogging site Twitter.
At a party programme, BJP general secretary Ravi Shankar Prasad said, "Such behaviour from the police is unacceptable. This is an attack on the freedom of the press."
Prasad criticised the Delhi Police for the undue delay in taking the victim and her friend to hospital on the fateful night.
"The two were lying semi-clad on the road after the incident and police personnel from three PCR vans were arguing for 25 minutes about whose jurisdiction the case falls under and who should take them to hospital," Prasad said.
BJP Mahila Morcha chief Smriti Irani demanded that the Delhi police commissioner be removed.
Suspended BJP MP Ram Jethmalani slammed Delhi Police chief Neeraj Kumar for not conducting an inquiry and fixing responsibility for the lapse.
"We should have known that this has happened. What is the Police Commissioner doing there? Is he assaulting protesters doing all kind of funny things and what has to be done he doesn`t do? Which police inspector is responsible? Which sub-inspector is responsible? The head of the police force should have by now have taken action," he said.
Making a scathing attack on police, he said, "You must believe the injured person more, the police is totally untrustworthy."
"Why this poor boy who has been injured will speak a lie?" Jethmalani asked.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal