Delhi Police to oppose handing over of Zabiuddin to Mumbai cop
New Delhi: Mumbai Police`s plan to get early custody of LeT member Syed Zabiuddin, the handler of those who executed the Mumbai terror attack of November 2008, may not materialize as Delhi police would tell a local court that they required more time for his custodial interrogation.
Sources in Delhi Police said they are preparing a reply to be submitted in the court in which the need for his further custodial interrogation to unravel the Lashker-e-Taiba network across India would be highlighted.
The sources said 30-year-old Zabiuddin, who is a resident of Beed district of Maharashtra, would be able to give a deep insight into the functioning of various offshoot modules of SIMI that had joined LeT.
Mumbai Police had approached the Chief Metropolitan Magistrate here with an application and a request letter issued by a Mumbai court for producing Zabiuddin before it.
"In view of the letter of Additional CMM 37th Court, Mumbai, it is humbly prayed that a direction be kindly issued to produce the accused person (Abu Jundal) before it," Mumbai Police said in its application.
Mumbai police`s crime branch wants Zabiuddin in connection with the 2006 Aurangabad arms haul case.
However, Delhi Police expressed their reservation to the Union Home Ministry as well for handing him over to Mumbai police, the sources said.
National Investigation Agency, which has registered a case against US-citizen and Lashker terrorist David Headley and Pakistani-Canadian Tahawwuur Rana, was likely to get the custody of Zabiuddin after Delhi Police.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145