Delhi rape: AAP proposes `citizen security force` for women`s safety
New Delhi: In wake of the rape of a five-year-old girl in Delhi, the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) Saturday proposed the setting up of a special citizen force for women while demanding removal of union Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde and the Delhi Police commissioner.
"The Delhi Police should be given two months time to rectify its past failures and regain the faith of people, else Aam Aadmi Party proposes the setting up of citizen`s security force for ensuring that no girl child or women goes through what Damini and now Gudiya has gone through," said a release by the party, which is led by Arvind Kejriwal.
The citizen security force will be formed on the lines of Nitish Kumar`s state auxiliary police (SAP) in Bihar and would be supervised by retired army officers, it said.
Young people would be enrolled in the force would be given commando training to handle all kinds of situation, especially those related to women`s safety.
"These cadets would work under retired army officers and would be present at the ward level. This force would work as security guards and would ensure security of all Delhi-ites at all possible levels," the release said.
The Aam Aadmi Party said that whenever such an incident comes to light, Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit quickly brushes aside all allegations against her government, saying that the Delhi Police does not come under it.
"The Congress also rules at the centre, so is this not a clear case of match-fixing between Sheila Dikshit and Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde," it said.
"Sonia Gandhi and Prime Minister (Manmohan Singh) have expressed their grief over the incident. How will the statements of PM expressing grief ensure security to women? What is his action plan? Does the solution lies in reforming police?"
"The country has heard enough of assurances and verbal promises, it is time for action now and the Aam Aadmi Party demands removal of Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde and Delhi Police commissioner (Neeraj Kumar) at the earliest," it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- NASA’s SDO captures bursts of solar material from the Sun- Watch
- Watch: Videos show German-Iranian gunman going on rampage in Munich
- Heavy rain in China kills at least 24, millions evacuated
- Defence Minister Parrikar leaves for Chennai to monitor ops of missing IAF AN 32
- Pakistan has been crying for Kashmir ever since independence: NPP