Delhi rape: Accused sent to judicial custody till May 04
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: The 22-year-old man, arrested for allegedly raping a five-year old girl, was sent to judicial custody till May 04 on Sunday, according to Delhi Police.
The man was sent to judicial custody so as to facilitate test identification parade. He was produced in a city court by the Delhi Police today, a day before expiry of his transit remand.
The police had earlier said that Manoj Kumar would not be produced in court today but later he was brought before duty magistrate Sanjay Kumar who sent him to judicial custody for 14 days.
Manoj Kumar, a labourer in a garment factory in north- east Delhi, was arrested yesterday by a team of Delhi Police and their Bihar counterpart from Muzafarpur district.
A court in Bihar had given a 72-hour transit remand to Delhi Police to bring him to the capital.
The accused was flown to the capital last evening.
The five-year-old girl was brutally raped and assaulted allegedly by Kumar while being held captive and starved for two days in east Delhi`s Gandhi Nagar. She also contracted infection from foreign objects inserted in her body.
The brutal rape of the child has shocked and outraged the whole nation and has made headlines worldwide. It has come in the backdrop of the gang-rape of a para-medical student in the national capital on December 16 last year. The horrific incident has once again raised the din for death punishment for rapists, with the main Opposition the BJP and women groups across India clamouring for the same.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender