Delhi rape: Accused sent to judicial custody till May 04
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: The 22-year-old man, arrested for allegedly raping a five-year old girl, was sent to judicial custody till May 04 on Sunday, according to Delhi Police.
The man was sent to judicial custody so as to facilitate test identification parade. He was produced in a city court by the Delhi Police today, a day before expiry of his transit remand.
The police had earlier said that Manoj Kumar would not be produced in court today but later he was brought before duty magistrate Sanjay Kumar who sent him to judicial custody for 14 days.
Manoj Kumar, a labourer in a garment factory in north- east Delhi, was arrested yesterday by a team of Delhi Police and their Bihar counterpart from Muzafarpur district.
A court in Bihar had given a 72-hour transit remand to Delhi Police to bring him to the capital.
The accused was flown to the capital last evening.
The five-year-old girl was brutally raped and assaulted allegedly by Kumar while being held captive and starved for two days in east Delhi`s Gandhi Nagar. She also contracted infection from foreign objects inserted in her body.
The brutal rape of the child has shocked and outraged the whole nation and has made headlines worldwide. It has come in the backdrop of the gang-rape of a para-medical student in the national capital on December 16 last year. The horrific incident has once again raised the din for death punishment for rapists, with the main Opposition the BJP and women groups across India clamouring for the same.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Mumbai: Woman pushed off from running local train by robbers
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security