Delhi rape: PM’s ‘theek hai’ triggers controversy
New Delhi: While Prime Minister Dr Manmohan Singh on Monday assured people that justice would be served to the 23-year-old paramedical student, who was gang-raped by six men recently, he became a subject of discussion following a gaffe in his televised address to the nation.
As per reports, the Prime Minister was heard asking his staff ‘theek hai’ (alright) at the end of his address to the nation, which was aired unedited.
The unintentional gaffe by the Prime Minister instantly gave the online community a chance to take potshots at Dr Singh, who has often faced criticism for remaining a mute spectator or giving a tailor-made responses to the issue of national importance.
Interestingly, there a surge in the online community’s angry reaction to the Prime Minister’s casual attitude to issues related to women’s security in metros, especially in the national capital.
Soon after the Dr Singh’s address, the keywords being searched online were -#theekhai, #meekhai, #bheekhai as well as Manmohan.
Dr Singh made the speech after public criticism of government’s excessive use of forces on innocent protestors on Sunday demanding speedy justice to the rape victim grew louder.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- Bollywood pays respect to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam