Delhi road rage death: Pilot granted bail
New Delhi: Jet Airways pilot Vikas Agarwal was granted bail Wednesday morning, a day after he allegedly ran his car over another driver in a case of road rage in the capital`s upscale Khan Market, police said.
"It was a bailable offence," a senior police official told reporters.
The accused was charged under Section 279 (rash driving) and 304 A (causing death by negligence) of the Indian Penal Code (IPC), he added.
Rajiv Jolly, manager of Amici restaurant in Khan Market, was crushed to death by Agarwal`s Ford Ikon in Khan Market Tuesday afternoon.
According to witnesses, Jolly was driving out of the market and Agarwal was entering it when the latter`s Ford Ikon grazed the former`s Hyundai i10.
An angry Jolly alighted and entered into an argument with Agarwal. He grabbed the pilot`s collar while he was still seated inside the car and slapped him.
Agarwal tried to escape but Jolly hung on to the car`s window. The pilot continued to move ahead and Jolly came under the wheels and was crushed to death, according to a police officer.
Police had earlier said that Agarwal ran over Jolly four times while trying to reverse in his bid to escape.
A police team arrived at the spot and apprehended Agarwal, a resident of Patparganj in east Delhi. Jolly was rushed to Ram Manohar Lohia hospital where he was pronounced dead.
The incident took place outside Axis Bank in Khan Market at 1.50 p.m., police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena Bora murder spread over various cities
- Sheena Bora murder: Transit remand for Sanjeev Khanna; to be presented in court
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Ravi Shastri reveals truth behind MS Dhoni's sudden Test retirement!
- NASA completes series of engine tests for next big rocket