Delhi road rage death: Pilot granted bail
New Delhi: Jet Airways pilot Vikas Agarwal was granted bail Wednesday morning, a day after he allegedly ran his car over another driver in a case of road rage in the capital`s upscale Khan Market, police said.
"It was a bailable offence," a senior police official told reporters.
The accused was charged under Section 279 (rash driving) and 304 A (causing death by negligence) of the Indian Penal Code (IPC), he added.
Rajiv Jolly, manager of Amici restaurant in Khan Market, was crushed to death by Agarwal`s Ford Ikon in Khan Market Tuesday afternoon.
According to witnesses, Jolly was driving out of the market and Agarwal was entering it when the latter`s Ford Ikon grazed the former`s Hyundai i10.
An angry Jolly alighted and entered into an argument with Agarwal. He grabbed the pilot`s collar while he was still seated inside the car and slapped him.
Agarwal tried to escape but Jolly hung on to the car`s window. The pilot continued to move ahead and Jolly came under the wheels and was crushed to death, according to a police officer.
Police had earlier said that Agarwal ran over Jolly four times while trying to reverse in his bid to escape.
A police team arrived at the spot and apprehended Agarwal, a resident of Patparganj in east Delhi. Jolly was rushed to Ram Manohar Lohia hospital where he was pronounced dead.
The incident took place outside Axis Bank in Khan Market at 1.50 p.m., police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery