Delhi’s airspace goes blind on R-Day
New Delhi: On a day when the national capital was given an unprecedented security cover in the wake of terror threat to the Republic Day parade, a major scare gripped the Indira Gandhi International Airport here after the radar system failed once again.
According to reports, half past midnight on Tuesday the radar screens at IGI Airport`s ATC tower went blank. It was the second time in less than two weeks that the radar system collapsed at IGI Airport.
A newspaper today quoted sources as saying that several radar screens went blank, giving ATC personnel cold feet on a day when the threat of an air-borne terror attack was highest ever.
Sources said when the system failed, more than 12 planes were airborne in Delhi’s skies. It is believed that the system remained shut for over three hours.
According to a source, two consoles and both area control radars went blank by 1:45 am. The source added that only one console was in working condition at that time. The traffic in the airspace and important information like aircraft speed, height and call-signs are displayed on consoles.
The situation on Tuesday midnight was not as bad as on January 14 when all the radar screens blanked out for nearly three hours.
A DGCA probe is already underway into the previous radar system crash.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: AIADMK member from Cuddalore dies after seeing news about Tamil Nadu CM's cardiac arrest