Demand for fresh probe into Capt Kohli`s death rejected
New Delhi: Government Wednesday rejected the
demand for a fresh probe into the death of Captain Sumit Kohli made by his family and said the Army probe had found that the officer had committed suicide.
The officer`s family had met Defence Minister A K
Antony in August to request a CBI probe into his death.
"The issues in this regard raised by the officer`s
family have already been investigated and the inquiry report
along with necessary documents pertaining to investigations,
as demanded by his family have been handed over to them to
"No further inquiry is found necessary in this
matter," the Defence Minister said in reply to a query in
He added that it was found that the officer had
committed suicide by shooting himself in Kupwara on April 30,
2006 during his deployment in the counter-insurgency
Capt Kohli was found dead with gunshot wounds at his
room in military residential facility in Lolab.
It had been just two months since he had won the
country`s third highest peacetime gallantry medal and his
sudden death had shocked his family and enraged them,
particularly because the Army had claimed that it was suicide
due to family troubles.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Radhe Maa dances at casino in London, claims video
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Lalu Prasad Yadav challenges Narendra Modi over 'shaitan' comment, demands PM's apology