Demand for fresh probe into Capt Kohli`s death rejected
New Delhi: Government Wednesday rejected the
demand for a fresh probe into the death of Captain Sumit Kohli made by his family and said the Army probe had found that the officer had committed suicide.
The officer`s family had met Defence Minister A K
Antony in August to request a CBI probe into his death.
"The issues in this regard raised by the officer`s
family have already been investigated and the inquiry report
along with necessary documents pertaining to investigations,
as demanded by his family have been handed over to them to
"No further inquiry is found necessary in this
matter," the Defence Minister said in reply to a query in
He added that it was found that the officer had
committed suicide by shooting himself in Kupwara on April 30,
2006 during his deployment in the counter-insurgency
Capt Kohli was found dead with gunshot wounds at his
room in military residential facility in Lolab.
It had been just two months since he had won the
country`s third highest peacetime gallantry medal and his
sudden death had shocked his family and enraged them,
particularly because the Army had claimed that it was suicide
due to family troubles.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH