Demand for national war memorial has to become reality: Antony
New Delhi: Defence Minister A K Antony
on Saturday said the armed forces` demand to have a national war
memorial has to "become a reality" and hoped to "find out a
solution" on the issue.
"Our government is very particular that long pending
demand and aspiration of the armed forces for war memorial has
to become a reality... I hope, that by cooperation of all
concerned, we will be able to find out a solution at last," he
told reporters on the sidelines of the inauguration of the
Armed Forces Tribunal.
Antony said the construction of the war memorial was
"The very fact that Prime Minister has appointed a
Group of Ministers (GoM) shows the priority we are giving to
the war memorial," Antony said.
On Monday, the Prime Minister had constituted a Group
of Ministers headed by Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee,
Defence Minister A K Antony and Urban Development Minister S
Jaipal Reddy to look into the issue of finding a location for
constructing a National War Memorial in Delhi.
The GoM will decide on the appropriate location of the
National War Memorial after considering all aspects of the
The proposal for a War Memorial, given an in principle
approval during the Vajpayee regime, has been in the pipeline
for some years but the issue of finding a location has put a
hold on its implementation.
While Defence Ministry has suggested that the Memorial
should come in the open space behind the India Gate hexagon,
Urban Development Ministry and Delhi Urban Arts Commission are
opposed to the view on the grounds that it will not gel with
the layout of the area done up during the British era.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing