Demand for national war memorial has to become reality: Antony
New Delhi: Defence Minister A K Antony
on Saturday said the armed forces` demand to have a national war
memorial has to "become a reality" and hoped to "find out a
solution" on the issue.
"Our government is very particular that long pending
demand and aspiration of the armed forces for war memorial has
to become a reality... I hope, that by cooperation of all
concerned, we will be able to find out a solution at last," he
told reporters on the sidelines of the inauguration of the
Armed Forces Tribunal.
Antony said the construction of the war memorial was
"The very fact that Prime Minister has appointed a
Group of Ministers (GoM) shows the priority we are giving to
the war memorial," Antony said.
On Monday, the Prime Minister had constituted a Group
of Ministers headed by Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee,
Defence Minister A K Antony and Urban Development Minister S
Jaipal Reddy to look into the issue of finding a location for
constructing a National War Memorial in Delhi.
The GoM will decide on the appropriate location of the
National War Memorial after considering all aspects of the
The proposal for a War Memorial, given an in principle
approval during the Vajpayee regime, has been in the pipeline
for some years but the issue of finding a location has put a
hold on its implementation.
While Defence Ministry has suggested that the Memorial
should come in the open space behind the India Gate hexagon,
Urban Development Ministry and Delhi Urban Arts Commission are
opposed to the view on the grounds that it will not gel with
the layout of the area done up during the British era.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal