Demands for creation of 9 more states pending before MHA
New Delhi: With Centre agreeing to the
creation of a separate Telengana state, its hands are full
with demands of at least nine other new states, including
Mithilanchal in Bihar, Coorg in Karnataka and Saurashtra in
Home Ministry officials said the demands were mostly
received from political parties and organisations like
Rashtriya Lok Dal (RLD), Gorkha Janamukti Morcha (GJM) and
After conceding the demand of one of the most vocal
organisations - Telengana Rashtra Samiti - for creation of
Telengana state, comprising Telengana region in Andhra
Pradesh, the Centre may encounter fresh demands of GJM, which
has been putting pressure to carve out Gorkhaland state out of
Darjeeling and its adjoining areas in West Bengal.
The demand for creation of Bundelkhand state, comprising
districts like Banda, Chitrakoot, Jhansi, Lalitpur, Sagar of
Uttar Pradesh and Madhya Pradesh have been pending for long
with the ministry, an official said.
Though no state government has given any recommendation,
which is mandatory for carving out a new state, the demands
continue to pour in.
A demand for creation of Bhojpur state comprising areas
of Eastern Uttar Pradesh and Bihar has also been received by
Another demand for creation of a new state comprising
Saurastha region of Gujarat, one of the most prosperous
states in the country, has also been pending with the Ministry
for several years now.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Check out Iulia Vantur’s latest Instagram post after statement clarifying marriage to Salman Khan
- IPL 2016, RCB vs GL: Challenge for Suresh Raina & Co to stop Virat Kohli's phenomenal run-scoring spree
- Check www.gseb.org for 10th result 2016: GSEB SSC result 2016 declared
- Cassini climbs over Saturn's poles and captures this stunning image - See pic!
- Shocking! Four out of five women are harassed in public places in India, finds survey