Democracy must go beyond elections: Kapil Sibal
Mumbai: Stating that the people have not really understood the true meaning of democracy, Union Law Minister Kapil Sibal has said democracy needs to go beyond the electoral process.
"We need to understand the true meanings of democracy. Democracy is far more than the electoral process," Sibal said at a function here last night.
He said considering democracy as a mere electoral process is a "jaundiced view."
Leaders in the media and entertainment industry and various other platforms must work to protect "the diversity of the nation that is at the heart of the idea of India", he said.
Emphasising the role of media in protecting the cultural and linguistic diversity of the country, Sibal said, "you (the media) can do an extremely constructive job by informing the nation, but you can also destroy the nation by misinformation.
"What we are witnessing is that middle ground in any discourse is being completely lost. It`s either you`re for me or against," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog