Democracy not an excuse to hinder India-China ties: Think tank
Beijing: India has to overcome "domestic impediments" and "political obstacles" and not let its democracy hinder the development of ties with China, an official think tank on Tuesday said in its first commentary on Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s recent visit here.
"The signing of the Border Defence Cooperation Agreement between China and India was hailed by Indian media as the most significant and enduring diplomatic achievement since the birth of the US-India Civil Nuclear Agreement," an article written by Liu Zengyi, a research fellow of the Shanghai Institute of International Studies said.
During his recent visit to China, Singh also raised issues including the trade imbalance and Sino-Pakistani ties with the Chinese side, it said the article titled "Domestic obstacles keep Delhi from realistic economic choices", published in the state-run Global Times here today said.
China`s plans of setting up industrial parks in India, promoting regional economic cooperation and the Bangladesh, China, India, Myanmar (BCIM) Economic Corridor were not fulfilled, it said.
However, the specific fruits for Beijing and New Delhi do not really mean gains or losses in their respective diplomatic efforts, it said highlighting Singh`s comments that "when India and China shake hands, the world takes notice".
Some internal factors in India included "obstacles from opposition parties, the public resistance against foreign capital, the outdated labour law institutions and the existence of established interest groups," it said.
"India has to overcome more domestic impediments than China. Its democracy should not become an excuse to hinder the development of its relations with Beijing," it said.
India`s domestic concerns about the BCIM Corridor are mainly due to the unsettled border disputes and apprehensions that the opening-up of its northeastern region may pose a threat to its security if conflicts take place, it said.
"The signature of the border defence cooperation may help dispel India`s worries on national security, since it ensures that the two sides will not resort to force to solve border controversies by law. And economic integration will not only inject vitality to the region, but also weaken popular support for the rebels," it said.
"The mutual visits by top officials from both sides this year represent a milestone in Sino-Indian ties. High-level exchanges between the two Asian emerging powers will become institutionalised, pushing forward the bilateral relationship," it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly