Democratic transition in Pak good for cross-border
Srinagar: Hailing the democratic transition in neighbouring Pakistan where Nawaz Sharif appears set to return to power, the BJP on Sunday expressed hope that the new government would further strengthen the process of improving ties with India.
"We are very happy that democracy has flourished in Pakistan... Only through democracy can our relations be improved," said party spokesperson Prakash Javadekar.
Sharif`s PML-N has taken an unassailable lead over its rivals in the landmark general elections and Javadekar said that they would welcome any move by the new government in Pakistan to put Indo-Pak relations on a firmer footing.
"Nawaz Sharif, while remembering the steps taken by (former prime minister) Atal Bihari Vajpayee to improve Indo-Pak relations, had said he wanted to bring back those moments of 1999," Javadekar told reporters here.
"If he (Sharif) wants to bring back the momentum of 1999, then it is better, because we think that we have to have good relations with (all neighbouring countries), especially with Pakistan... The way Atalji started the process, we will be happy if that is taken forward then," he added.
The BJP spokesperson was speaking at a meeting here to announce a "Jail Bharo" movement in protest against the alleged "loot and plunder" of the country by the Congress-led UPA government".
Trends from 264 of the 272 parliamentary seats that went to the polls in Pakistan showed that the PML-N was set to bag in excess of 125 seats, while Imran Khan`s Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan and the Pakistan Peoples Party were lagging far behind with 34 and 32 seats, respectively.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly