Denied visa by US, sex workers to hold conference in Kolkata
Kolkata: Hundreds of sex workers from all over the world who were denied travel visa by the USA to attend the International AIDS conference have decided to hold a parallel conference in Kolkata in protest.
Slated to be held between July 22 and July 27 in Washington DC, the conference is an annual congregation of organisations and agencies from across the world engaged in controlling AIDS.
"But the US government`s travel restriction for sex workers will bar many of them from attending the conference this year," said Andrew Hunter, president of Global Network of Sex Workers (NWSP), the co-hosts.
Under the banner of Global Hub of the International AIDS Conference, over 550 representatives of sex workers from 47 countries will attend the event here which is being hosted by Durbar Mahila Samanwaya Committee.
The five-day conference in Kolkata will deliberate on the `Seven Freedoms` the right to move, work, access to healthcare, participate, organise, be free of violence and discrimination - without which the community of sex workers cannot reduce their vulnerability to HIV.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Triple treat for Shah Rukh Khan fans in 2017 – Details inside
- Know what Ranveer Singh has to say about Akshay Kumar
- A love story for Akshay Kumar in toilet? Details inside
- Wondering if Ranveer Singh is on board Deepika Padukone’s ‘Padmavati’? Details inside
- Saif Ali Khan finds Kareena Kapoor very sexy in 'Yeh Mera Dil' song