Denied visa by US, sex workers to hold conference in Kolkata
Kolkata: Hundreds of sex workers from all over the world who were denied travel visa by the USA to attend the International AIDS conference have decided to hold a parallel conference in Kolkata in protest.
Slated to be held between July 22 and July 27 in Washington DC, the conference is an annual congregation of organisations and agencies from across the world engaged in controlling AIDS.
"But the US government`s travel restriction for sex workers will bar many of them from attending the conference this year," said Andrew Hunter, president of Global Network of Sex Workers (NWSP), the co-hosts.
Under the banner of Global Hub of the International AIDS Conference, over 550 representatives of sex workers from 47 countries will attend the event here which is being hosted by Durbar Mahila Samanwaya Committee.
The five-day conference in Kolkata will deliberate on the `Seven Freedoms` the right to move, work, access to healthcare, participate, organise, be free of violence and discrimination - without which the community of sex workers cannot reduce their vulnerability to HIV.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray