Denmark wants fresh proposal on Kim Davy`s extradition
New Delhi: Denmark has pressed for a fresh proposal from India on the issue of extradition of Kim Davy, the main accused in the 1995 Purulia arms drop case, assuring that it would be examined by its the justice department.
Denmark sought a fresh proposal from India during a meeting of a Danish delegation headed by its Deputy Permanent Secretary in the Justice Ministry Jens Christian Bulow and the Indian officials from home and external affairs ministries, said sources in the Indian delegation.
India expressed its disappointment over Denmark seeking a fresh proposal for the extradition of Davy, sources said.
India told the Danish delegation that its justice department took nine years in deciding its earlier request for the extradition of Purulia arm drop case prime accused, they said.
The Indian delegation said a fresh proposal and its examination by Denmark`s justice department would further delay the trial in Purulia arms drop case, sources said.
The Danish side assured that any fresh proposal for the extradition of Davy might be examined and decided expeditiously, sources said.
Home Secretary R.K. Singh told reporters that "the talks were held in a cordial manner and there was a discussion on extradition of Kim Davy".
The extradition of Davy relates to the dropping of arms and ammunition in Purulia district of West Bengal that included a large consignment of AK-47 rifles, pistols, anti-tank grenades, rocket launchers and thousands of rounds of ammunition. The arms dropping took place Dec 17, 1995.
Five Latvians and British national Peter Bleach were arrested in connection the air dropping of the arms. Kim Davy managed to escape.
The arrested Latvian crew members were released from a prison in Kolkata in 2000 after requests from Russian authorities while Bleach was given a presidential pardon in 2004 following requests by the British government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof