Dense fog hits operations at IGI Airport
New Delhi: Dense fog badly hit operations at the Indira Gandhi International airport here on Monday affecting the schedule of over 50 domestic and international flights.
About 35 flights were delayed while 15 were cancelled as the dense fog enveloped the airport this morning.
One of the international flights was diverted to Jaipur, airport sources said.
Runway visibility started to deteriorate from late last night and general visibility reduced to less than 100 metres in the morning, leading to delay in departures of early morning flights.
The general visibility on the main runway (28/11 which is the most preferred runway by airlines during the foggy days) was almost zero while the runway visibility was 75 metres.
At one time the runway visibility dropped to zero at one end of the third runway.
The operations at the third runway remained suspended for major part of the morning due to poor visibility, an airport official said.
The MeT department has predicted CAT-III B fog (dense fog when the runway visibility drops to below 50 metres) till Christmas.
Yesterday also over 100 flights were badly affected due to dense fog.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- LIVE: Jayalalithaa's condition critical after suffering cardiac arrest, huge crowd gathers outside Apollo hospital
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender