Depiction of Goddess images on swimwear inappropriate: India
New Delhi: India has conveyed its "deep
concern" to the Australian High Commission over the issue of
depiction of images of Goddess Lakshmi on swimwear, for which
the swimwear label company has apologised to the Hindu
community for hurting their sentiments.
In the recently concluded Rosemount Australian fashion
week in Sydney, a designer Lisa Burke, had displayed certain
swimwear costumes carrying Indian religious images
"inappropriately", the External Affairs Ministry said in a
statement here on Wednesday.
The Ministry has conveyed its "deep concern" to the
Australian High Commission, asking that all concerned be
apprised of the Indian religious sensitivities in the matter,
The issue was similarly, taken up by our Consulate
General in Sydney with the fashion designer, the MEA said.
"The designer has promptly apologized `to the Hindu
community` and assured that the range has been withdrawn and
will never be available for sale in any stockists or retail
outlet anywhere in the world and has stopped production of the
swimwear in question," the statement said.
"We would like to offer an apology to anyone we may
have offended and advise that the image of Goddess Lakshmi
will not appear on any piece of Lisa Blue swimwear for the new
season, with a halt put on all production of the new range and
pieces shown on the runway removed," said a statement issued
by the Lisa Blue Swimwear in Australia on Monday.
The swimwear company carried an image of Goddess
Lakshmi on a bikini bottom and front of a model who walked the
ramp at Rosemount Australian Fashion Week in Sydney last week.
"We apologize to the Hindu community and take this
matter very seriously," the statement said.
The apology came after Indian community strongly
protested the depiction of the images on swimwear, saying it
has hurt the religious sentiments of the Hindu community.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- IT raids Delhi's Axis bank branch, finds Rs 100 cr deposited in 44 fake accounts
- Demonetisation: Majority of ATMs still out of cash
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics
- This happens only in Pakistan? You won't believe what this boy did in front of his lady teacher - WATCH
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- Unseen Video: On Yuvraj Singh, Hazel Keech's wedding reception, MS Dhoni greets couple with a hug